Monday, March 2, 2009

March is Studio Month!

For the month of March, we will be looking at various studios of various artists.

I will be polling many artists this month to learn about their studio spaces where all the magic happens. I will then be posting some photos of their studios as well as a little bit of background info on the artist and their workspace. If you would like to show off your studio this month, please contact me and I'll try to fit you in!

Here's just a little taste to get us started...




Real Name: Lisa Buchanan
Location: Louisiana, USA

Are you a Fulltime/Part-time Working Artist? Yes

How long have you been an artist? 10 years professionally

What types of Media do you work with?
Oils, acrylics and mixed media

What scale do you work at?
I am working on a several large paintings at the moment, but love painting/drawing ATC's because they force me to use the mantra "less is best" and instead of taking months to finish, they can take anywhere from 1 hours to 3 days.



Tell us a little bit about your studio:
My husband realized I needed my own space after the guest bedroom I was painting in was being taken over by all my supplies and spilling into the hallway. We added on to our home so I now have my own studio with adjoinging bathroom, a door to the outside, large closet, great track lighting, northern exposure, practically everything an artist needs. Well, except for more square footage - once you start collecting altered art supplies you quickly run out of room!

How much time do you spend working in your studio?
I might as well put a bed and refrigerator in here because I am in here 24/7.

Is your studio at your home or elsewhere?
I used to rent a studio at an artist's colony, but found that was restrictive (for me). I like to paint at 2:30 in the morning in my pj's, so having to get jeans on and travel someone to paint wasn't working for me.

------------

Real Name: Anne El-Habre
Online Alias: Anonevyl
Location: Savannah, GA
Are you a Fulltime/Parttime Working Artist? Occasionally
How long have you been an artist?
Don't know if I am - but I have been making marks on things since I was very little
What types of Media do you work with?
Anything that fits in my studio.

What scale do you work at?
ATC size (3.5 x 2.5 inches) to anything that fits in my studio.




Tell us a little bit about your studio...

It's a 12'x16' shed in the back of the house. It's surrounded by trees and soon, flowers. My wonderful hubby insulated and paneled it and made most of the tables and installed the shelving. He's too good to me. That and he was sick of gesso on the kitchen floor.


How much time do you spend working in your studio?
As much as possible. If there was a bathroom in here and I didn't have familial responsibilities, I would never leave it.

Is your studio at your home or elsewhere?
It's in the backyard.

------------


Real Name: Amber Marie Oxford
Online Alias: Amber Marie or Farfalla Dea (in assorted ways)
Location: Portland, OR
Website: ambermariestudios.com
Online Store: ambermariestudios.etsy.com
Online Art Gallery: farfalla-dea.deviantart.com

Are you a Fulltime/Parttime Working Artist?
Well, I work rather part time at it. I do have a part time day job.
How long have you been an artist?
As long as I can remember. That is to say, I can't think of a time I wasn't painting, drawing or creating in some way.
What types of Media do you work with?
Colored pencil, pencil, oil pastels, charcoal, marker, yarn, wood, acrylic, oils, beads, thread. I often try new things.

What scale do you work at?
From ATC size to much bigger. I think the biggest piece is still my wall mural, which is about 6 foot by 8 foot. One of my favorite sizes though is 22 x 30 because that's the size my favorite paper comes in.
Tell us a little bit about your studio
Its my second actual dedicated studio space but the first to have so much room (my first one was basically a shed). Its also the first place I've ever been able to make my own and I feel free and creative in it. Each space has its own function, I even have meditation spot. I call it my happy spot because it has all positive things in it about me or my life.


How much time do you spend working in your studio?
Depends on what I have going on! I do spend about 6-8 hours a day and then often 2-4 hours at night when I have to work my part time day job.

Is your studio at your home or elsewhere?
Its in our home, in our basement. I never knew how loud my cats could walk till I started working down here.

No comments: